Gluten Free Dessert Recipes

One of the biggest challenges about going gluten-free is giving up those scrumptious wheat filled desserts. Let's face it, rice flour, tapioca starch, potato starch, sorghum, millet, almond, etc., just cannot compete with the binding of wheat flour. I thought all was lost when I had to give up those mouth watering desserts. Fortunately, a lot of my misconceptions have been dissolved, as I have learned how to tweak, experiment, and enjoy gluten-free dessert recipes.
When I was younger, I could eat anything. Now that the glory days are over, the waistline isn't as trim, and my body has changed a lot from having children. I realized that my cooking needed to be all natural in order to be healthier. So, not only have I given up all of the preservative laden desserts, but also the gluten ones as well.


My thinking about desserts had to do a 180 degree flip. The first realization I had was that I did not always need to have flour in my desserts for them to taste good. I started to experiment and came up with a great chocolate covered almond recipe. Now, I had to be careful with this one, since there could be a lot of hidden preservatives. I converted to dark chocolate to solve this problem and all natural vanilla. The ingredients for this recipe are almonds, dark chocolate chips, all natural peanut butter, all natural butter spread (to keep it dairy-free, butter can be used if you are not dairy sensitive), and all natural vanilla (vanilla can be tricky, since it can have hidden gluten in it).
Gluten Free cookies
Turn the pan onto medium low and combine all of the ingredients, except the almonds. Once they are melted and combined, turn off the heat and add the almonds. After the almonds are smothered in chocolate, pour onto a cookie sheet covered in wax paper. Place the cookie sheet in the fridge and harden the chocolate. These are a mouth watering delight that I have added to my gluten-free dessert recipe collection.
Now that I have a dessert that does not contain flour, I cannot give up on my attempt to have flour desserts. For years, my sons could never have a banana cream pie, since they were allergic to dairy. The banana cream pie that I grew up on was basically whole milk with a few other ingredients. I did not want to kill my sons off, but I wanted to allow them the opportunity to taste this type of pie. So I set to work to try and make it dairy free. That was an awful challenge. I remember attempting on with rice milk. Oh, it was awful! Then I went gluten-free along with two of my daughters.

This last Christmas, I was determined to make a gluten-free dessert recipe that was worth indulging in. I went out on a limb and experimented with a banana cream pie. It actually worked! I used coconut milk, eggs, evaporated cane juice crystals, a gluten-free flour blend, all natural vanilla, and a natural buttery spread. I was nervous as I tasted it. It did not have the flavor of the recipe I grew up with, but it had a different flavor that was scrumptious and worth coming back too. I did not have to throw this pie out, nor did I stop myself at one piece.
Going gluten-free is not the end of enjoying desserts. It does require an open-mind and an ability to experiment. A quality gluten-free dessert recipe does not need to contain exotic ingredients, or very expensive ones. These recipes just require some knowledge along with trial and error. Yes, cinnamon rolls may be a thing of the past, but not all indulgences have to be put on the shelf. Just do some research and find some great and trusted gluten-free dessert recipes.